Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Math Chapter 1 &13

Chapter 1 was a quick review about assessment and effective teaching methods. The part that I liked was about student involvement in activities. I like how the book stated that if the students have nothing to do, they will find something, and most likely it will be something we do not care for as educators. I notice this concept both in the classrooms I help in and the time I spend with students teaching activities. My goal is to keep them engaged in the lessons. Whether it is a fun lesson or not isn't the issue. Hopefully I am finding exciting ways to teach, but the big issue is that the appropriate material is taught. Teachers can try to make their classes fun, but can miss the academic goals for student enjoyment. I am trying to find the balance where I work. Free time for the students right now is not working out well. The social skills in the classroom are not well developed and often any free time turns into arguments. So I have reduce almost all free time and am giving only very direct free time activities like math and reading games until the Students develop a more appropriate manners.

Chapter 13 was a about, Effective Practice. I found a number of the math card games appropriate for the classes I help in currently. It is nice that the book gives so many example games for the Students. We are currently working on adding and subtracting fractions. The scavenger hunt games are nice ways to make this tougher subject a little more manageable.

Everyone take care,
Ryan

2 comments:

  1. Ryan I liked your comment on student involvement, that is one thing I didn't include in my blog and probably should have because that is a very important part in teaching. As teachers we need to find a way to actively involve all of our students so that problem behaviors decrease and so the students reach the learning objective goals. Free time can definitely be a probably. I work with only kindergarteners and even during activities there is arguing especially at times when they are bored and no longer engaged. I can definitely see your point in that problem.

    I also really liked the techniques in Chapter 13 and will definitely use them in my classroom as well. As teachers we are so lucky to have so many resources that provide us with information on how we can improve lessons so that learning is maximized : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,

    Free time is a good but can also be a probelm. I totally know what you are talking about all too well! As a teacher, I give my students a list of things they can do during free time...that doesn't include talking. I have soo much planned for my students that I keep them going non stop so that everything on the agenda is complete by the time we have finished with that subject. Maybe creating a "menu" of ideas for them to do when they do have free time can cut down on the problems.

    I also understand where you are coming from. WE want our lessons to be fun and engaging...but that is hard and takes a lot of time. We need to remember that it has to cover the objects and that all students are engaged, challenged, and are learning. THis is so hard to do. I toally know where you are coming from. I think though that our love of education needs to be put into all of our lessons and that hands on activities can sometimes break down on students problems in class. It can make math fun...or any lesson for that fact!

    Good Luck! You're not alone. Thank God for google and the book with lots of ideas!

    ReplyDelete